Quality Assurance & Food Safety Manager
The N.K. Hurst Company is a 3rd
& 4th generation family owned and operated food company distributing products throughout the United States from our plant in Zionsville, IN. We are looking for a full-time Quality Assurance & Food Safety Manager.
This position will be required to spend a large portion of their time on floor in production/warehouse, reporting directly to the Plant Manager and working in close collaboration with the ownership group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage, implement, and monitor our food safety and quality assurance programs.
- N.K. Hurst currently maintains an SQF level II certified production facility and the QAFS Manager will ensure company compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Lead the company in all QAFS audits, including yearly SQF audit.
- Lead trainings to ensure all associates and temporary workers have adequate and documented trainings and enforce proper Good Hygiene, Safe Work Practices, and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) as well as relevant company policies and food safety regulations.
- On-floor monitoring of all QAFS related tasks on a daily basis, and actively participating with staff to ensure work is completed correctly
- Ensure that the facility is in full compliance with all relevant regulatory guidelines (SQF, FDA, National, State, and Local) established for food manufacturing, warehousing and distribution.
- Ensuring product compliance with legal and quality standards.
- Lead QAFS team, develop and maintain all QAFS programs for the facility.
- Review QAFS paperwork on a daily basis.
- Lead company SAFETY team and program
- Maintain Swabbing program / environmental testing.
- Develop preventative QAFS programs to catch problems before
- Manages Pest Control system. Serves as primary contact for pest control provider. Monitors Pest Control Data and assures preemptive and corrective actions are taken.
- In coordination with Customer Service Team respond to any customer comment, concerns, problems, and/or questions regarding a quality or sanitation issue.
- Assessing the product specifications and testing them with customer requirements.
- Planning & implementing performance improvement and quality assurance programs
- The QAFS Manager shall act as the Food Safety Manager, developing, following, and enforcing standards for food safety and food quality production reflected in SQF as well as the regulations of major vendors and governmental agencies such as OSHA, FDA and EPA and assures associates are consistently trained in these standards and comply with all requirements.
- The QAFS position shall be designated as the SQF Practitioner and PCQI for the company, responsible for the development, maintenance, and execution of all SQF practices.
- Work with plant manager and engineering/maintenance staff to help maintain preventative maintenance program
- Directly responsible to assist with management and supervision of warehouse/production employees
- Hands-on approach to all food safety and facility needs.
- Manage vendors and customer communications/documentation for all food safety related needs
- Any other duties determined by NKH management to fall under the QAFS Manager role
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience required.
- 3-5 years relevant experience in food production industry is preferred
- Knowledge and experience in regulatory compliance of FSMA, GFSI, OSHA, GMP, USDA, Food Safety, and HACCP
- SQF (or related GFSI schema) and PCQI experience preferred. Must be willing to attend trainings if necessary.
Skills and Abilities
- Fluent in spoken and written English (Spanish a bonus)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to work flexible hours to assist in 2nd shift and weekend needs (seasonal)
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision while remaining productive at all times.
- Must be able to exercise judgement after careful review to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Strong Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) computer skills
Physical Demands and Requirements
- Regularly involves sitting, standing, walking, climbing of stairs.
- Occasionally involves crouching, stooping, kneeling and/or climbing or balancing.
- Must be able to lift and carry items up to 30 pounds
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Group Health Insurance
Please email resume to QAManagerJob@hurstbeans.com or mail resume to:
N.K. Hurst Co, Inc.
10505 Bennett Pkwy. Suite 100
Zionsville, IN 46077
Also see www.nkhurst.com/jobs